Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We did it

We successfully left Sam for a whole two days and two (glorious) nights. Yep, we jetted off to Las Vegas to indulge in a little gambling, spa-ing, and drinking (ah, the beauty of having a beer at noon - I had forgot what those days were like). Kerry had a work function to attend (check out his super new product that won the people's voice award: http://ces.cnet.com/best-of-ces/?tag=smallCarouselArea.0) and I figured it was a good a time as any to put away my "new mommy" hat and put on my "viva las vegas" hat. Of course this trip required a lot of preparation and planning but thanks to Grandma Carole, I knew that Sam was in good hands.

Arriving in Vegas with only a small suitcase was quite a change from my usual routine. Typically I have a purse stuffed with diapers, snacks, water bottle, tissues, spare binky and anything else that may be required to keep my little guy happy. I felt so free with just a few belongings packed into one tiny suitcase. As soon as I stepped off the plane I spotted the rows and rows of slot machines. The familiar "ching-ching" sound ricocheted through the airport and I was suddenly thrown back into time - a time when the most important errand of the day involved purchasing a bottle of Advil to quell the nasty hangover I had gained from the night before. I had to quickly get a grip on things. I had to remind myself that I am no longer the 21 year old co-ed, I am a married mother of one (yikes, is that really me?). I arrived at our hotel unscathed with my pocketbook retaining it's beginning balance.

As for plans, I knew that we wanted to have a relaxing time in Vegas (oxymoron?), in fact, my goal was to wear a big fluffy rope, sit in the hot tub while drinking a nice glass of Pinot and order a pizza. I didn't care about seeing any of the sights (our combined trips to Vegas push 15) and I certainly didn't care about standing in line to gain entry to one of the newest dance clubs. I was in Vegas to unwind and spend some quality time with my hubby.

Well, we succeeded. We slept in, sat in the hot tub, drank wine and generally had a nice relaxing time. Although, we did have some unexpected events. First - we decided to see a show and not just any show but the ONE show that I have really wanted to see - Beatles Love - Cirque Du Soleil. It was amazing! Sitting second row we could actually see the beads of sweat gathering on the performers faces. The show was beautiful, thoughtful and most importantly - filled with fantastic music. After the show we decided to have our hand at some gambling. It is at this point where Kerry and I fell right back into the good 'ol days. We sat at the Blackjack table, ordered multiple whiskey sours (for Kerry) and gin and tonics (for mois). We lost money, we won money, made friends with the dealers, counseled a group of Australians on how to play craps, yelled for joy when our number hit and most importantly, walked away holding hands.

All-in-all, a great success.


ps - Everyone keeps asking, "did you miss Sam?" Well, of course I did but let's be honest here. After 9 months of constant Sam Time, it was time for a little Me Time. I was happy to have time with my hubby but definitely happy to see Sam upon our return. In fact, according to Kerry, when we landed I actually went into a dead sprint through the airport, dodging luggage, wheelchairs and security agents in order to get to little Sam as fast as I could. His happy little face was a nice welcome home.

No comments: