Saturday, December 18, 2010

We Survived.... barely.

It's every parent's worst nightmare. You are fast asleep, dreaming of Christmas stockings and hot buttered rums, when suddenly you are violently awakened by the sound of a screaming, hiccuping child. It could only be one thing - the flu.

This week, our parenting and patience were put to the test when our sweet little boy woke up, vomiting. And let's just say it wasn't just one vomit, it was several. After the first episode, we carefully cleaned up Sam and his surroundings, sat with him in his rocking chair and rocked him to sleep with the hope that it was just a one-time deal. After he was sound asleep, we crawled back into bed and Kerry boasts to me, "I have a sixth sense for these things. You see, I NEVER wake up when Sam stirs but this time, I just knew it was different." I, of course, just shrug and attempt to go back to sleep, thinking about all those sleepless nights when Sam was a babe, and Kerry would wake up in the morning and exclaim, "Wow, Sam slept through the night- that's great!" And, I would roll my eyes.

Just as we were fast asleep, I heard it again. The distinctive puke and cry. At this point, we knew we were in for a LONG night. And that's when it began. Every hour, on the hour, we diligently changed the sheets, blankets and pajamas of our sick little guy. And where was my "Sixth Sense" guy? Sleeping. Apparently that sense shuts off after midnight.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than a sick baby, who can barely communicate with you, just merely looks at you with sad eyes, begging you to make things better. We finally crawled back into bed, covered in vomit, defenseless against the nasty little germ that had invaded my Sam's stomach.

The second night proved no better. In order to get enough liquids in him, we were charged with feeding him via eye dropper, since he wouldn't take the liquid from his cup. Kerry and I took turns holding him, rocking him to sleep and then, oh so stealthy, removing the pacifier and replacing it with a full eye dropper. This went on for hours, until we were satisfied that he had enough to sustain him through the night.

We are now onto day 3 and my hopes are high that he's on the mend. I look forward to seeing my rambunctious, happy kid who looks forward to taco Tuesday's.

No comments: