Monday, June 13, 2011

Off to Camp!


Sam's Art Project - Ode to the Sheep

Today was a big day, not only for Sam but for me. Today marked the first day of summer camp for Sam. All week we've been talking about camp, how much fun he was going to have and all the new friends he was sure to make. We wanted to make sure he was mentally prepared for this big experience and more importantly, to make sure I was fully prepared to leave him!

So here we are, Monday morning, backpack packed and ready to walk out the door to his very first day of summer camp. The 5 minute drive there, I continued to talk about camp and describe all the fun things I used to do at camp as a kid. I could tell Sam was listening but for the most part, he was more interested in talking about the tractors and garbage trucks zooming down the street.

We pulled up to the camp and walked right up to his classroom door. His two teachers were waiting anxiously for the kids to arrive (we were the first) and welcomed Sam to his classroom. Sam immediately saw the buckets of toys, bins of Plato and rows of books- he was sold on this whole camp idea. So here I am, standing in the corner, letting the teachers know that "he really hasn't been left with strangers before, and that if he were to get upset to please call me."

You can probably guess how the rest of the story goes. Two hours later I was practically counting down the minutes before I could enter the room to pick him up - I couldn't wait to hear all about the morning. Yes, I was the mother standing outside the window, face pressed up against the glass, waiting for the clock to hit 11:15.

I threw open the door, anticipating Sam, who desperately missed me, to run adoringly into my arms and beg to be taken home. But instead, Sam sees me walk in, says "hi mommy" and continues to play with his new toy airplane. Eventually, he was happy to see me and was super excited to tell me all about what they had been doing and to show me his fuzzy sheep art project.

While driving home, Sam was telling me about another little boy in the class who had cried because he missed his mommy and Sam, very sweetly, said "Sam missed mommy too. Sam missed Ella too." My heart melted.

No comments: