Saturday, June 11, 2011

Transitions, Transitions

The other morning, Kerry and I were lying in bed attempting to wake up and start the day. Much to our surprise, in walks Sam, carrying his baseball and bat, asking us to wake up and start playing. Kerry and I were baffled because Sam sleeps in a crib! And so begins the road to the "Big Boy" bed. I was secretly hoping Sam would embrace his crib for a few more months, that way we could gently ease him into this huge transition. But, as usual, Sam had a different idea.

Later that day, it was nap time and I knew I was in for a challenge. We did our usual rituals before naptime and I gently laid Sam in his crib, giving him his favorite nose kisses. I shut the door and quickly grabbed the video monitor, ready to witness the next set of events. Pretty quickly, Sam remembered that he had discovered the ultimate key to freedom. He grabbed his blankie, swings his legs over the side of the crib and hoists himself over the edge. Once free, I hear his CD player start singing and some rumbling of his toy drawer. A few minutes later, I see blankie being thrown through the air, landing in the crib and Sam's chubby legs soon reappearing. Apparently he just needed some music to fall asleep to.

No comments: