About being a parent. It's all fun and game until they turn 3 (at least in our case). Sam has officially decided that he is ready to move into his own apartment and make all of his own choices. Up until this moment, parenting has been tough but it's been more of "organic milk" or "regular milk" kind of choice. Choices where as long as basic needs were being met, we were feeling pretty good. But now is the tough time. The fun and games are over. Sam challenges EVERYTHING, from what toothpaste to use to the brand of butter on his bread. I am in a constant negotiation and nothing is easy. Did I mention, I'm exhausted? So, that's what this blog has been deprived. I find that the funny things that happen each day are sometimes overshadowed by the constant negotiation and argument and by the time I get a break, I need to zone out to "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" to numb my self for a solid hour.
Now, I know everyone said that parent is hard but I feel like people didn't really explain how hard it would be. With that said, we are doing some really amazing things. Sam is really into dinosaurs and can name just about every one and give really cool factoids about it's tooth size and eating habits. He's really gearing up for Santa and can't wait to see what this whole Christmas thing is about. Everyday he asks if it's Christmas or Christams Eve and he can't quite understand why all the decorations are up and every house in the neighborhood is lit up like the North Pole if it's not Christmas yet.
As for Eleanor, Kerry and I are pretty much obsessed with her. She has this sweet, agreeable personality and is always singing or talking to her dolls. We fall over with delight everytime she lines up all her dolls and systematically covers them in an appropriate blanket. She's such a girl.
Ella and Sam have also become quite good friends. She follows his every move and he loves having someone to boss around. They pour each other tea and she'll even go and sit with him on the time-out stair when he's got in a bit of trouble. Anytime he gets a boo-boo, she immediately checks in with him to make sure everything's ok. Sure, they have their squabbles but for the most part, they are partners in crime.
So with the Holiday Season, I reflect upon how joyous our lives are with these two little people. Their little smiles and banter over waffles have both challenged us to the greatest degree and brought unimaginable joy. So, here's the thing about parenting.... it's tough but the payout is well worth it.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment