Hi all,
Megan here. Thought I would write a quick post so you know that I am, in fact, alive. As you have read, we are really enjoying ourselves and learning a lot about different cultures and ourselves. And although I am currently on a hunger strike, my liquid diet seems to keep me going.
We are currently in Sarajevo, which is a fascinating city. Just 12 years ago this place was a war zone, covered in shrapnel and land mines. It's amazing how the people here have persevered to rebuild and conquer. In 1984 Sarajevo hosted the winter Olympics, we visited the site this morning and it was completely destroyed in the war. Pieces of the bob sled still tower above but most exist only in crumbled pieces on the ground. It's very surreal. All the buildings have huge pock marks from bombs and you can still see the rebuilding process moving forward. Makes us thankful for our safety.
On a lighter note, we are staying in a flat in the city. The woman who lives there speaks absolutely no English and every time she says something to me, I think she's yelling at me but in reality she's probably saying Good Morning. She's got 50 locks on the door, we leave our shoes at the door and our beds consist of folded out leopard print couches in her living room. Kerry of course loved the authenticity of the whole situation, while I am missing the Holiday Inn. Heheh....
Tomorrow we leave for Dubrovnik, Croatia for 5 days and then on to Italy.
It's Friday night and we are going to find a restaurant for some cold beer and Donner Stag. Yummo.
Friday, July 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Too funny. I'm so glad you two are turning out to be such good correspondents. I truly thought we'd only get a note or two. I hope you made Kerry where a helmet on the luge ride. I am no longer a home owner and my checkbook is now quite difficult to balance. New home is all set up...though I have a similar sleeping arrangement to you guys. I'm afraid the queen boxsprings would not make it up the stairs due to the stupid laws of math and physics. So I'm now one of "those people" who put their mattresses directly on the floor. Sigh.
Post a Comment