Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Confessions of a Pregnant Woman


Ok, here goes. My latest round of pregnancy-induced confessions:

Donuts - who knew they were so good? I have purposely avoided donuts for most of my life because of the insane amount of calories and sugar but since being pregnant, I have embraced the little balls of fried dough. In fact, every time I go grocery shopping I treat myself to a hot chocolate (or maple, depending on the day) donut, fresh from the oven. I make sure it's the last stop in the store, that way I am not tempted to scarf it down before I have even made it to the checkout counter. But, as soon as I get in the car, the donut is a goner! I was keeping my new addiction a secret until Kerry started to notice the empty bakery bag either left on the floor of my car (I have trouble bending over to pick it up) or in the bottom of the grocery bag. So there, I admit it! I am the crazy pregnant woman at Safeway who stares, drooling waiting for the fresh donuts to emerge from the back.

Sushi - Before I got pregnant I probably ate sushi at least once a week. I love it, plain and simple. I was sadly informed, once I was pregnant, that I am not to eat sushi for fear of a bacteria infection. The first few months it was pretty easy but just recently, I had a breakdown. Kerry and I went out for dinner and he ordered this beautiful display of spicy tuna and I just couldn't hold back. I ate three.

Manual Labor - Pregnancy has worked to my advantage lately. During our construction project, I haven't helped one bit. Yep, I haven't lifted a finger. Kerry has been hauling huge pieces of plywood up our steep stairs while I have been firmly planted on the couch. Anytime he might hint at needing my assistance, I simply shrug and say, "doctor said that I am not supposed to lift anything." And that's the end of the discussion! It's like back in grade school when you got a note from you parent excusing you from PE.

Phew, I feel better already. Some people go to therapy, I blog.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I love it. I'm talking about sushi a lot in both Bacteriology and Parasitology...it would be good for you to reign in that craving. Of course I was never a member of the sushi parade. I love that you are blogging...as I check all my friends blogs at least once a day. Is that sad? You should also visit thepioneerwoman.com. Best blog ever. Seriously. Read the Black Heels to Tractor Wheels saga. It's awesome.

Emily B. said...

Oh oops! The article I now cannot find. So now I sound like an internet loon. Sorry. But it was a NYT research article basing various infant.child problems associated with raw fish (illness, disease, etc) on women in USA and women in Japan, and it was shocking. It's a tiny, tiny risk.

And now Meg and I can get in commenting fight! ;)