Wednesday, February 18, 2009

33 Weeks. Where does the time go?


Well jeez, go ahead and call me a slacker! The past few weeks have whizzed by, leaving me in a state of total confusion. All of a sudden, I am 6 weeks (or less!) away from my due date and we have a lot to do! So here is a brief synopsis of our lives:

Nursery - everyone keeps asking for pics of the nursery and unfortunately, it's still not done. Now, before the lecture begins, let me assure you that we are making progress, it's just not quite done. Kerry successfully installed the chair railing last weekend and the baby bedding arrived about two weeks ago. It's so cute! And just in case anyone was concerned about our future son's skin, he will be sleeping on 600 thread count sheets. We also successfully cleaned out the closet in the baby's room and hung up his little wardrobe (which makes me cry everytime I take a peak). Last night my Mom and I went to the fabric store to pick out the curtains and she will have the window coverings ready in about a week. Next steps include washing all the onesies and hand-me-downs we have received (thank goodness for hand-me-downs!!), picking up my new fabulous chair from the store and getting our new carpet installed.

Attic - On the same note as the carpet, I am happy to announce that the attic remodel is almost officially done. Kerry worked like a dog on this project and I am very proud of his craftmanship. It's truly amazing that a guy who works on computers all day can successfully maneuver a skill saw and nail gun. Way to go Kerry, you definitely earned "husband" points in my book!

Birthing Class- Yes, we have begun our series of birthing classes, offered at our delivery hospital. Our first night of class, I had to laugh - we entered the classroom and seated all around were couples, consisting of one very pregnant mama and one very bored dad, carrying anything that the women couldn't manage (which in this case included two pillows, a requirement of the class). It was like entering this secret club where we all had one, very important, thing in common. It was also kinda like the first day of class, nervously looking around, comparing baby bumps and sizing up the competition. As class begun, I looked around and realized that all of the pregnant women had a few things in common - 1. Water bottle carefully positioned in front of them on the table. 2. Not one of us could cross our legs, so we all assumed the pregnant sit (stomach out, hands on top of belly with ankles crossed. Seriously, next time you see a pregnant women sitting, I'm sure she will be in this position). 3. The women would carefully evaluate their husbands/partners and just when they started to get the glazed over, deer in headlights look, the mama would give her man the look of death which would translate to something like, "you better start paying attention or else you will be rubbing my fat ankles for hours tonight" or the emotional angle, "we are having this baby together and I need you to care about dilation, epidurals and placentas!"

At one point, the instructor separated the men and women into different rooms to discuss their fears and concerns. Later that night, Kerry gave me the re-enactment of what the "men's" room was like. Here goes:

silence
silence
cough
nervous cough
ruffling of papers
cracking of knuckles
stretching of legs

Wow, pretty deep. Those guys really must have a lot on their minds. The girls room, on the other hand, exploded into discussion on lack of sleep, swollen ankles and nursing bras.

All in all, we are feeling pretty good around the Forell household. I am still really enjoying being pregnant and am constantly amazed at the human body. Our little guy is weighing about 5 pounds and almost 20" long and we are counting down the minutes until we get to see his sweet face.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I'd say I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the guy group, but doesn't sound like many secrets are coming out of that room. And I think I would faint out of sheer terror if I was a fly on the wall of the gal group.

Can I say "you're huge!!" and have you realize that I mean it in a magnificent, gorgeous type of way? Well I guess I just did...and you are truly magnificent...and gorgeous :)