Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The "Whatever Works" Policy


Preparing to be a new parent, I read every book possible. Topics ranged from sleep habits to development to soothing sounds for toddlers. I was convinced that if I read everything out there, I would be fully prepared for every curve ball Sam threw at me.

I am happy to report that at 8 weeks of age, I have successfully thrown out every piece of wisdom I read. I am now following a new philosophy created by your's truly, it's called the "Whatever Works" policy. Myself, along with thousands of other parents, have decided to throw all the theories and advice books out the window and do something completely crazy - let my child decide what works for him. For instance, this week Sam has decided that he no longer wants to take naps in the crib. Of course the first few days of his defiance I patiently rocked him back to sleep. Finally, I put him in his swing and he slept for two hours. Apparently he has a love affair with the swing because every nap thereafter he has literally slept like a baby. Am I terrified that Sam will get hooked to the swing, unable to nap anywhere else? Yes. But I have decided that the more he sleeps, the better mood he is in, which means a much happier mama. So for now, I have closed up the books and will now pay more attention to what Sam wants and less attention to the gazillion books I have read. Is it possible Sam will go to kindergarten in a swing? Possibly, but we will make sure it's the coolest swing on the market.

No comments: