We have a dirty little secret in the Forell household, one that often leaves a nice round indent on the arm, leg or face, for that matter. Sam is a biter. Well, a recovering biter. Most of the time he can control his frustration though less aggressive means but every so often his little jaw unlatches and well, he bites.
It's been a long time since we've had an "incident" but unfortunately that trend has ended and ended in a big way. While at the Children's Museum last week we were making our usual rounds, enjoying the little person grocery store, the water play area and lastly the favored ambulance, where the squirt's can drive and turn on the siren. Sam patiently waited his turn and happily took the driver's seat when it was time. From across the room I am keeping an eye on him and playing with Ella as she maneuvers the trains around the tracks.
As if in slow motion, I see a bigger kid push his way into the ambulance and take control of the steering wheel. Sam tried to push back put the kid was bigger and stronger, so he went to his back-up defense mode- biting. The kids arm was right at jaw height, so Sam leaned over and latched onto his arm. Luckily the kid had a pretty thick sweatshirt on, so the damage was minimal.
But, as I am running over to break up the fight, I see the other kid, lean over and take a chunk out of Sam's cheek. Yep, the kid fought back and bit Sam's face. Sam was absolutely stunned. He was in pain, angry and couldn't believe what had just happened. He came barreling over to me, crying and demanding that we go home. I could tell he was shocked at how much it hurt and shocked that someone could inflict that kind of pain so quickly. And what was my response? You deserved it. Of course I hugged him and made sure that he was ok first but as soon as he settled down I simply explained that he bit first and sometimes people retaliate. It's a hard lesson to learn but I am hoping that he remember the pain and will think twice before he bears his pearly whites.
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poor little guy:(
You know I read this post ages ago and thought I left a comment...but alas I see I did not. So my comment is this...THIS POST IS AWESOME. Absolutely hilarious. I love Sam.
Post a Comment