You may, or may not, know that Kerry and I finally abandoned city life and moved to the suburbs. I had dreaded this inevitable move and dragged my feet, kicking and screaming. Our house and our neighborhood had become a huge part of my life and I loved the fact that I could walk everywhere and had everything at my fingertips. Of course there were some drawbacks, mainly a shrinking house that felt like it could burst at any given moment. So, about 1 month ago we moved into our new house and accepted defeat. But, much to my surprise, I love the 'burbs! Not only is life a little slower out here but I am wonderfully surprised each day when I venture out. For instance:
- 24 Hour Fitness - I loved being able to walk to my old gym and I do miss this but I am pleasantly surprised at how un-crowded it is out here. At the old gym, I had to get to my workout class early to reserve a spot and sweat elbow-to-elbow with some meat head. Now, the classes are just full enough that I can have a little space.
- Wildlife - we have wild deer in our backyard. I went from homeless guys urinating in my yard to sweet little deer. I could hardly believe my eyes but it's true, they love the grapes we have growing and stop regularly for a snack.
- Chain restaurants - Living downtown we had very few chain restaurants which allowed us to try all sorts of different faire but also could put a hearty dent in the wallet. In our new hood, I excitedly point out all the chain spots we have been missing over the years. Last weekend we spent Saturday night at Chipotle and I was thrilled!
- Utility sink - simple? Yes. Useful? Double yes. I love having a sink to rinse out paint tins, soiled pajamas and anything else that may need a little more attention. Who new a sink could make one so happy?
- Heat - Since our last house was built in 1890, it's pretty safe to say that it lacked any sort of energy efficiency. I basically spent the past 9 years being cold all winter. Now, I can leave the bulky socks, long underwear and fingerless gloves in the drawer and walk around in - gasp! just my normal clothes. Hallelujah!
- Garage - Quite possibly the most exciting part of this whole new life is our new garage. I get so much pleasure in approaching our house, pushing a button and parking in a warm, dry spot. When I have a trunk foll of groceries I no longer have to lock the kids in the house, sprint out to the car, grab what I can and hope that the homeless guys don't get the rest of my produce.
I think I'm going to like it here.
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment